Monday 22 January 2018

11 months on an 11 hour flight

A flight...an 11 hour flight. Normally I relish this time - away from my laptop and Google, and on-line shopping which I am addicted to since becoming a mum. Usually I use a long flight to watch movies and immerse myself in a good book. I sometimes do a bit of writing too. I started writing my first novel in an airport lounge and airports and aeroplanes are great places to people watch which is always a good pastime for a writer. Sadly with an eleven month old all of the above goes out the window.

The trip was to Goa, where I grew up so I knew once I got there ( 9 hours on the way out - 11 on the way back) I could switch of and relax (My parents have a house there). I have to admit the way out was okay. It was a day flight. He watched a few cartoons, ate Ella's Melty Puffs and was kept entertained by an apple for most of the journey, but the way back - a night flight - was tough. The armrests were static and so he could not sleep across husband and me so he had to sleep on just one of us. He was hot and bothered, but he slept. We didn't. However, we got through it. Before the flight I researched what to take to help me on the flight. I didn't find any great sites for advice so here is mine.

Take a good travel bag. A backpack (although not very trendy) is essential. A mum recommended this one to me from Amazon which is pretty tough to beat. The zip at the back gives you access to the lower part of the rucksack so you don't have to spend your time rummaging, while your baby is in fits of tears waiting for his favourite blanket.

I also recommend Melty Puffs as mentioned above (no nasties) and likely to keep the little one occupied. Ella's pouches too are handy or your pouch of choice. I do like giving N my own food, but these are pretty good if you are in a rush. I've passed the baby weaning phase but I was worried about processed food when I started. The guides from First Step Nutrition tell you what you need to know and it's independent so no sponsors to influence their reports.

Even if your little one is not on milk anymore, taking a mini formula bottle can be comforting and get can encourage them to have a nap too. There is so much distraction for them on an aeroplane!

Zip lock bags are great- for keeping things clean and keeping things separate and they hardy take up any space.

Milton travel wipes are handy for when you are out and about at your destination as well. Some high chairs in restaurants need a good wipe!

A hand sanitiser like Aquaint is good too for baby and you. You can get a pocket size version too.

A sippy cup is a must and toys - a book, a set of baby's first keys and remote or phone (The ELC ones are great).

A blanket and some outfit changes are a given.

I won't go into detail about what to take for when you are in a tropical country with a little one but two of the best products I used were the Green baby mosi-tabs to stick on baby's clothes and Badger anti-bug balm (both all natural I think). N has Eczema and this didn't interfere with that. And whilst my husband and I got bitten, N didn't so the bug balm and the tabs worked. Another must have for me were the Damero bags which I bought from Amazon. I got the three pack and they were great for putting in my day bag for snacks, swimwear and changing stuff for N. I like the fact that these bags have two compartments to help you keep organised.

It was a successful and somewhat relaxing trip (holidays are somewhat different with a baby. You never quite switch off). And I didn't do any writing. Going to Goa is the one time I do switch off. I have a no-work policy and that includes writing. I did take some photos for a Chupplejeep Diary that I am planning to launch on Instagram (@Marissade.luna) and on my Facebook page (marissadelunaauthor).  I need to sort out links and widgets to my profiles...bear with me! When I'm in Goa I try to observe my surroundings as much as possible and soak up the atmosphere so that when I put pen to paper I can recall the sights, smells, and sounds of the place and re-create this on the page. I once read that writing about an exotic location in the exotic location can hinder your writing because you are surrounded by stimulus that you can incorporate into your manuscript - I think there is some truth in that - for me at least. Now that I am back in England I remember what stood out for me not all the minutiae and so I am planning to go through my current manuscript - Jackpot Jetty and do an edit where I add in some of this detail - the dog sunning itself on the dusty red mud, the woman in the green sari walking along the beach her hands outstretched towards the blue sky, the sweet taste of a freshly made jalebi dripping with sugar syrup...








No comments:

Post a Comment

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master

I haven't blogged in ages. All those promises (well, half promises) I made to you lovely readers at the start of this blog have been br...